Member Since: January 1, 1975
About Obie Bowman
The values I bring to my work have grown out of my own experiences and reach back to some of the fondest memories of youth. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley at a time when agriculture was the predominant sense of the landscape and the Los Angeles River was a wonderful source of life and boyhood experience.
Early on I became fascinated by nature especially plants and animals around riparian environments. As the years went by I was aware that development was bringing about many environmental changes but lacked the experience and perspective to foresee the coming consequences. Many years later it became clear that I had witnessed the complete replacement of the agrarian landscape with a continuous desolate suburbanization and of the river with a new concrete flood channel where people threw bottles and dumped shopping carts. The trauma of this experience crystallized a personal paradox with which I have struggled ever since a desire to build and a need to work with rather than against the natural landscape.
- Arizona State University Bachelor of Architecture (1965-1967)
- University of California Berkeley Architecture (1964-1965)
- University of Southern California Architecture (1961-1964)
- 1967-71 Apprenticed with Los Angeles Architects
- 1971Moved to Mendocino Coast and started own practice
- 1973 Opened office at The Sea Ranch CA
- 1974 Licensed in California
- 1994 Opened second office in Dry Creek Valley near Healdsburg in Sonoma County CA
- 2008 Inducted into the AIA College of Fellows