Member Since: February 8, 1993
About Katherine Austin
Katherine Austin AIA is a sole proprietor in Northern California. Since receiving her M Arch from UCLA in 1986 she has worked for large and medium sized firms in Los Angeles and Sacramento before settling in Sonoma County. She established her own firm in January of 1995.
Ms Austin specializes in Green Affordable Housing and Production Homes for both non-profit and private developers. She emphasizes the needs of the client and the unique character of the site during the design process. Ms. Austin has designed numerous site plans on difficult sites with constraints such as steep slopes heritage trees creek setbacks and restricted access. Her home designs are done in conjunction with site planning to allow for the most efficient and attractive design possible. Ms. Austin has worked with many local Civil Engineers on creative and cost effective designs to minimize disturbing existing grades save heritage trees and treat storm water runoff.
Since 1995 Katherine has served North Bay clients with innovative architecture and site design meeting the challenges of environmental and political review with a 100% approval rate. Small-Lot infill subdivisions multifamily and mixed use developments are her specialty.
- Sonoma State Green Building Professional Certificate Program 2005
- UCLA Graduate School of Architecture and Urban Design M Arch 1986
- Boston University College of Fine Arts M.Arch 1978 – Painting Boston University College of Fine Arts
- BFA 1975 – Painting and Printmaking
Green Multifamily Housing for Non-Profit Developers.
Self-Help Housing for low-income home-ownership Senior housing for low and very low-income seniors Special Needs housing integrated into multi-family developments Brown Field development Homeless Shelters Habitat for Humanity Green Entry Level Housing for Production Builders. Small-lot infill subdivisions with homes ranging from 900 sf to 1800 sf. Multifamily developments including small primary homes with 2nd units duplexes and triplexes Fee-simple housing such as duets and town homes Mixed use commercial and apartments
Live/ Work housing. Civic involvement / Board Memberships
- President – 2011 Redwood Empire Chapter American Institute of Architects Member National AIA Board Knowledge Committee 3 yr term
- Past Chair of the National AIA Residential Advisory Group member 2005-20104 years on the Sebastopol City Council one year as Mayor
- Four years on the Sebastopol Planning commission
- Four years on the Sonoma County Agricultural Preservation and Open Space District Citizens Advisory Committee
- Chair and Vice Chair Past Board Member Redwood Empire chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council
- AIA Redwood Empire Chapter
- USGBC U.S. Green Building Council