Project Location: 833 Market St
Owner: Cindy Daniel and Doug Lipton
Completion Date: 07/15/2013
A place to share food, stories and local knowledge, this modern interpretation of the traditional barn typology houses a market café, mercantile store, and meeting space. Sustainability is central to the design, which incorporates a resource efficient prefabricated metal structure, thermally efficient insulated metal panel cladding, and a naturally ventilated interior. Glazed garage doors on two levels open up the interior to the outdoors, connecting occupants to the street life in front, and to the restored creek-side riparian habitat along the building’s west facade.
The facility offers visitors a variety of ways to enjoy the region’s foods. The Cafe features an open kitchen, wood oven, and seasonal menus highlighting local farmers and producers. Visitors can also stop in for coffee and espresso, roasted by Healdsburg’s Flying Goat Coffee and served up at the Coffee Bar, or come by to enjoy a selection of local wine, beer, or kombucha from the Fermentation Bar. The Larder and Pantry offer prepared dishes, house-made products, and other provisions from far and near. A communal table and more intimate seating weave between these components, inviting people to sit and enjoy the food and company. Local produce and flowers, as well as grains grown in the area and milled onsite, further illuminate the connection between land and table.
On the ground level, a distinctive selection of tools, housewares, and farm supplies mingle with the culinary offerings to encourage an informal flow of activities and exchange. The owners’ passion for the tools of the trade is evident in the beauty and quality of each item, carefully selected from the workshops of makers around the world. By design, the building embodies the proprietors’ spirit of sharing and connectedness. The building opens fully to the street, inviting people in and letting the activity spill out.
SHED engages the Modern Grange’s history as both a rural meeting place and farmers’ exchange but is firmly rooted in contemporary Healdsburg. It is a gathering place for local residents, which celebrates the region’s farmers and makers while tapping into a global community of chefs, producers, and visitors. Its dinners and programs, crafted to revive the traditions of fellowship, conviviality, and exchange, feed a cultural appetite for ideas and interests ranging beyond the realm of food. Upstairs, the Modern Grange, a large, flexible meeting space supported by a commercial kitchen and fully wired for audio-visual presentation, is designed for workshops, talks, exhibits, and film screenings as well as seed exchanges, farmer meet-ups, dinners, and live music. As a community resource SHED also welcomes private conferences, meetings, and celebrations.
- Structural Engineer: ZFA Structural Engineers. e: firstname.lastname@example.org, p: 707-526-0992
- Pre Engineer Metal Building: Soule Building Systems. e: email@example.com, p: 707-793-9277
- Mechanical Engineer: Guttmann & Blaevoet Consulting Engineers. e: firstname.lastname@example.org, p: 415-655-4000
- Civil Engineer: Atterbury & Associates. E: email@example.com, p: 707-433-0134
- PJC Associates, Geotechnical. e: firstname.lastname@example.org, p: 707-792-9221
- Curtis & Associates Land Surveying, Surveyor. e: email@example.com, p: 707-433-4808
- Muller Design Associates, Food Service. e: firstname.lastname@example.org, p: 775-782-1110
- Volkel Interior Design, Interiors. e: email@example.com, p: 707-217-9087
- Deep Craft, Interiors. e: firstname.lastname@example.org, p: 510-604-9588
- Foster Fine Woodworking, Interiors. e: email@example.com, p:???????
- Jensen Architects, Lighting Design. e: firstname.lastname@example.org, p: 415-348-9651 x23
- Landscape/Rain Garden: Russian Riverkeeper. E: email@example.com, p: (707) 433-1958.
- Lavish Automation, Audio Visual. e: firstname.lastname@example.org, p: 707-433-6399
- Boon Design, Graphics. e: email@example.com, p: 415-552-7808
- futurepruf, Graphics. e: firstname.lastname@example.org, p: 415-686-1353
- Mariko Reed Photography, Photographer. e: email@example.com, p: 808-226-7676
- General Contractor: Oliver and Company. E: firstname.lastname@example.org, p: 510-412-9090